RYDE GOLF CLUB
GOLF CLUB COMMITTEE MINUTES.
The minutes of the meeting held 28th January 2019 were as follows:
Present : A Adams J Thorp Colin Mc Comb Stephen White Jan Walker Trevor Wheeler Judith Lazell D Baxter
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE received from Sue Harrison
2 MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING 15/11/18 were read and approved.
3 MATTERS ARISING The new board of directors has been formed with one open position.
The Club Captain discussed the entry to Hants County 7s and the Isle of Wight Golf Union Greensome and Foursome leagues. He also emphasised the need for transparency between the committees and the members.
The Lady Captain reported that the recent ladies competition attracted 34 entries. There are also 2 new members. She noted that the ladies are not playing qualifying competitions and are not using the7th / 16th holes in competitions.
The Senior Captain expressed that he had felt that the captains’ drive in went well. There was £295 raised for charity. He reported that the Friday roll ups have had a good start with around 20 players playing. He stated that everyone is welcome. He confirmed that 50% of all prize money is being donated to the working party pot.
With regards to this group he complimented the work on the 16th steps and bunkers and gave thanks to Godfrey and his team.
The Men’s Competition Secretary reported that all comps are still only stablefords in winter. The March medal will take place on the 1st if the weather is ok. Where it becomes impossible to use 7/16th holes Stableford competitions will be 16 hole comps. There was some discussion on procedure for current handicaps. Colin explained the process and confirmed that there are three people involved. Judith suggested that the ladies do a similar process. Exceptional score rulings may still be low depending on field. He stated that the Winter league has reached 4th of 6 rounds and is on track to be completed. There will be extra medal competitions through the year to supplement Wilsteed cup..
The Ladies Competition Secretary stated that the Ladies section will hold a Handicap review committee in March.
The Senior Competition Secretary stated that they will be running 9h comp Friday until March .
There was some discussion with regard to the new rule about playing 4 after OOB and JL suggested not for CONGU. The general consensus of the meeting was that the value of course would be degraded if option was used in comps.
Course directors report. AA reported that he is planning to carry out a walk around course. He will set a date and inform appropriate personnel.
Currently Dougie is working alone. He is happy as it is for now , and it will be at least a month before someone in place, he also thanked the working party for their help
Dougie asking around to find a second green keeper.
He reported that we need a new fairway mower, finance to be investigated. Colin suggested that the bunker on the 16th nearest 8th tee could possibly be taken out.
- HEALTH & SAFETY.
Godfrey/ Bill have replaced the railing along steps and could possibly replace the surface on the steps.
JT suggested that there should be a 7th / 16th pathway to avoid closure of 7th / 16th Methods were discussed with no long term plan although CM suggested some possibilities. AA to investigate these options. JL stated that no buggies up the hill is confirmed.
There was a suggestion that on the 3rd Tee there could be polite notices to both golfers and drivers. It is unclear who is responsible for the netting, JL was at the meeting with developers. Planning meeting still to be held. Chris Hoffham was mentioned as a contact. There were concerns over the impact on finance.
JT reported that the gating to ladies walk level with the temporary green on the second has been damaged. It is an old wooden gate. Access is needed to complete the winter rounds where players end on fifth.
He suggested that the post needs fixing.
DB stated that he would like to continue to develop links between sections.
It is the intention to hold inter- section comps. 1st one will be a mixed section 9 hole comp. Set date 23rd March.
AA would like to host an open day with reduce green fees to try to attract new members
This is on festival weekend and therefore should it be re-arranged. In discussion is was suggested that the Ovenden Trophy / Mencap could be switched. Any dates to be changed on in good time. JL thanked those responsible for the calendar. Updating calendar is now part of LM ‘s role.
Role of LM
AA explained that LM new role is as senior steward. There is now a need to get together a bank of staff to support special events.
She will also develop sections of website and it is the intention to lose the Lee Dixon footer.
There was a general thank you to the new board of directors for moving so quickly.
Discussion about the Booth Cup fourball / betterball competition led CM to review the possibility of choosing own partner.
In a review of competition money it was agreed that each section has a system that worked and no parity was necessary.
JW suggested that past captains normally organise the Mencap competition.
DB / JW to talk to past captains.
There was also discussion about the Club championship Scratch competitions. The possibility of a 1-12 and 13-24 Handicap competition was suggested.
For Sunday competitions it was suggested that occasionally players should be grouped in alphabetical order. CM to try medal occasionally.
- DATE OF NEXT MEETING 25/3/19